Friday, August 26, 2005

Love Hate Relationship


I have a small plot in a community garden area, where I grow tomatoes, lemon grass, chili peppers, chives, parsley, basil, dill, red bell peppers, lavender and rosemary.

I have mixed in lots and lots of flowers, from Gerber daises, miniature hibiscus, sunflowers, vincas, dahlias, and an extraordinary vine completly covered with beautiful purple blossoms.

Swirled around my lava rock stepping stones (some stollen)I have a pathway of delicate moss-like ground cover. I even have a small pond, with water lilies, and fish.

Much to my delight, the birds, geckos, lizards, mice, ants, bees, and butterflies claim it to be their home. Were the lot in a different location with trees, and a tad bigger, I would be overjoyed to design and construct a small cottage and spend my days there.

I love working in my garden. It brings me peace, yet simultaneously it is a painful reminder how far away I from where I want to be.