Monday, October 04, 2004

Menen Waves Bub-bye

A few days ago, I was lying on the grass in the park looking at the clouds when a women and man walked by. They were yelling at each other in a foreign language and then suddenly the man kicked the obese women in the ass and proceeded to walk away. Even more shocking to me was that she followed along behind him crying.

I think that by pursuing him, she was giving her permission for that kind of abuse to happen again. What was acceptable in their world was profoundly sad to watch. I wept for their future, and simultaneously had a breakthrough in mine.

Obviously, there are many differences between the overweight women and myself. One of the similarities though is that I have been allowing a version of the same thing to take place in my relationship with this man. His random outbursts and belittling comments are improper, and my willingness to remain a target is deplorable. I spoke with him about it yesterday.

As I listened to his response of insults, I was reassured of my choice to wave goodbye.